Italian Bowl

Well when it comes to Italian, I must say this is one cuisine which I have craved as I grew up, but never got what I wanted. To me Italian wasn't about the pizzas at golden bakery or at Nirulas , Dominoes and Pizza Hut. But as I grew up, I realized that its more than just pizza's and pasta's.

While the craving for pizzas was still managed, pasta was the disappointment for me. IN India, pasta's became the new buzz and suddenly from pizza hut to even the marriage ceremonies made pasta an integral part. Its funny because initially Pasta indicated an elite marriage if it was there in the menu. A separate counter with a board CONTINENTAL would proudly flaunt a chef with various ingredients and make live pasta.  very soon pasta was Indianised and embraced with open arms by the middle class in India and resembled the new age India, eager to prove a point that we are multi-cultural...pasta curry and pasta makahni...

Not going  any further in the Indian journey of pasta, the point is when I tried at various places, some how it didn't hit the spot. When I came over to Australia, I tried a few more times. While it was better than in India, still didn't like it. After so many trials I reconciled with myself and said maybe I over estimated and maybe the cuisine is good but I don't have a taste or appreciation.

That was until I visited ITALIAN BOWL. A quite little eatery in Newtown on the main street. As I get off the train and walk on the main road outside the station to the right, towards Thai Pothong, Newtown hotel and the city, Italian bowl is on the left hand side of the road.

Its a but squished but the fact that it is usually food signifies the good food. The specialty is an open kitchen they have. You can sit on the counter facing the kitchen or on the chairs and tables.

Once you find a place, go to the kitchen and order the food and pay. The menu allows you to customize your order. Select thr type of pasta( penne, gnochi, spaghetti, etc) select the size and the sauce ( arabiatta or alfredo) and finally select the dish.

My usual order would be
Garlic and herb bread
Greek Salad and
Pasta.

I have tried a couple of pasta over there. Chicken with peppercorn style which I order with alfredo sauce and penne pasta and add mushrooms is just perfect and heavenly. The pasta is perfectly cooked, the sauce is beautiful white and creamy but optimum and not too cheesy. The mushrooms chicken and peppercorn all blend in well. In short the best pasta I have had so far. And yes I would specially go to that locality only to eat Pasta.
The other pasta is the prawn one with fettuccine  Its light flavored, slightly oiled with prawns. It may seems bland initially but trust me, after a few bites when the garlic comes to your mouth you love it. The beauty of it is the simple taste.

Tried the greek salad and its good as well.

A good place to go.
Cheap eat.
Meal for two is AUD 30-40.
Accept EFTPOS ( MIN AUD 20)


The Italian Bowl on Urbanspoon

Newtown
255 King Street 
SydneyNSW 2042

Comments

  1. I am not a big fan of pasta myself but the way you have described this, would love to be there some day!!
    Keep it up mate.

    GG@Nsw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment