Fergburger, Queenstown, New Zealand

 
Have you ever seen those American movie like Snatch by Guy Ritchie, where some one is at immigration in America and they ask” Anything to Declare”. The guys in turn says, don’t go to England – fish and chips, tea and bad weather and rain. Likewise, if anyone were to asl about Queenstown, the things Id say is awesome city, swiss alps of the southern hemisphere, skiing , Ferg Burger and Pedro’s lamb.
 Now Fergburger, is right at the heart of the city and some have termed it as the best burgers in the world. You wouldn’t be surprised, that there is a line, and big line outside the store almost throughout the day. It’s like this big nonstop event, people just don’t stop pouring in. Apparently the store is usually open for 22 hours in a day. The menu is quite diverse.  A whole array of beef, chicken, fish and hamburgers.  We reached here at 4 in the evening and it was full. There is limited seating in the shop itself.
I ordered the Lamb Burger and the Kids chicken burger. Now usually I have been in the search of the perfect lamb burger for quite some time. This would be a thick juicy lamb patty, along with an interesting amount of cheese, and other accompaniments.  Now the burger here was really interesting.  The lamb in New Zealand is supposed to be famous. It was I must admit the most unique and tasty burger I have had. Contrary to my expectation, this actually had a thin lamb patty. The taste was unique cos it had a sweet taste. It had mint jelly along with lettuce, onion tomato. There was aioli,which gave t a creamy texture and a tomato relish, which made it a bit tangy. So all in all, an interesting one, an amalgamation of a tomato relish, with mint jelly and aioli just tasted yum.  Well, let me tell you that it was so yum, that I came next day and had it again.
The next burger was the Spring Chicken burger, which is in the kids burger section. I wasn’t sure how big the regular burgers would be and if two burgers might be an overkill. Now usually when I have chicken burgers in Australia, I see there are these big chicken breasts which are very stringy and bland, topped with a whole lot of sauces. Now this one was a simple and basic burger. Chicken tenderloins, grilled, along with lettuce, cheddar cheese, tomato. The lettuce was crunchy, the chicken was juicy. And the mix with tomato sauce and mayonnaise was great. The fact that something so basic, and it was unbelievably delicious. I loved it.
So good were the Fergburgers, that next day I went it again. Again, had the Lamb burger. The the new burger which I had was the Bombay Chicken burger.  This one had a again chicken which was marinated in the western Indian style. When I saw western Indian- it’s an interesting cos it was the western view and palate of acceptable Indian taste which meant it was mild. It did mention it was marinated in a chilli, ginger and coriander yogurt with cucumber raita, lettuce tomato, red onion, aioli and mango chutney. Phew. What a combination. Well to be honest, I initially jumped out of my pants to see an Indian version of the burger here. The taste was yum. It was a big burger, the chicken was juicy. The mint chutney, yogurt, aioli made it quite soft and creamy texture, and the marinated chicken gave it a mild Indian touch.  All in all another lovely burger.
I sides, I tried the crumbed calamari and I was expecting rings, but these were calamari triangles like dorito’s and very coated bread crumbs and deep fried. Lovely.
Most of the burgers are in the range of $12 -$15, which makes them extremely affordable.
What I loved about the Fergburgers is there combinations of accompaniments, the amalgamation of flavors. Just yum. Usually burger joints are more gaga about beef and pork and may be one version of the chicken, but here, it was wow, no discrimination. There was seven varieties of chicken burger,  one fish burger, and 2 veggie burgers. It is truly for the love for the burgers.
They do have fries with various sauces and onion rings in sides. The joint also sells beers and wines.

All in all Fergburger impressed me and I wish I can go there again sometime in the future. If you are in Queentown, you have to visit this jewel.

42, Shotover Street, Queenstown

Fergburger on Urbanspoon

Comments